Apple has finally unveiled the long-awaited update of its iPhone range with two versions that offer an expensive/cheap alternative. The first one, iPhone 5S, is positioned as the most forward-thinking smartphone in the world and costs $399 for the 64GB model while the second, iPhone 5C, is touted as the most colorful smartphone yet and is priced at $199 for the 32GB model.
Both of the phones have a 4-inch Retina display and the 8-megapixel camera. They are running on the new iOS 7, “the most significant iOS update since the original iPhone.” It offers a new user interface, which features an elegant color palette, sleek, distinct and functional layers as well as subtle motion that adds to the overall “living” feel. Both new smartphones feature iTunes Radio, which is a free Internet radio built on the tracks the user listens to on iTunes.
Find the four key facts about each of the new iPhone versions below.
iPhone 5S features include:
1. iPhone 5S supports the A7 chip’s 64-bit architecture.
2. The groundbreaking Touch ID that allows to unlock the phone with the touch of a finger. The sensor living in the home button reads the fingertips to recognize the owner. No passcodes are needed anymore. Touch ID can also be used as a secure way to approve purchases at the iTunes Store, App Store or iBooks Store.
3. The all-new 8 megapixel iSight camera with True Tone flash. The camera has a larger f/2.2 aperture and a larger sensor with 1.5μ pixels that allows better sensitivity and low-light performance. The enhancements together with the Apple-designed image signal processor in the A7 chip and the new Camera app in iOS 7 allow up to two-times faster auto-focus, faster photo capture, automatic image and video stabilization. The other camera features in iPhone 5S include innovative True Tone flash, Burst Mode, Slo-Mo video with 120 fps, and more.
4. iPhone 5S delivers 10 hours of talk time on 3G networks, up to 10 hours of web browsing on Wi-Fi and LTE networks and up to 8 hours on 3G networks. It is powered for up to 10 hours of video playback and allows up to 40 hours of audio playback.
5. The colorway has been extended, black and white are not longer the only two options. The iPhone 5S is available in three metallic finishes: gold, silver and space gray. Those who want to add more color, can buy Apple-designed premium leather cases in beige, black, blue, brown, yellow and (RED).
The iPhone 5C features include:
1. iPhone 5C has the A6 chip.
2. The iPhone 5C has a single, hard-coated polycarbonate body with a steel reinforced frame, that works as both a container for the phone’s “flesh” and the multiband antenna. The body is covered with a single seamless structure that features a hard coat. This models comes in five vibrant colors— blue, green, pink, yellow and white. Consumers can create multiple color combinations with perforated sleek silicone cases in blue, green, pink, yellow, black and white.
3. iPhone 5C delivers 10 hours of talk time on 3G networks, up to 10 hours of web browsing on Wi-Fi and LTE networks and up to 8 hours on 3G networks. It also allows up to 10 hours of video playback and up to 40 hours of audio playback.
The phones will be available in stores starting September 20. In the USA, the price for iPhone 5S ranges from $199 to $299 and $399 for the 16GB, 32 GB and 64GB models respectively. iPhone 5C is priced at $99 for the 16GB model and $199 for the 32GB model in the USA.